Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Amazon Reviews: Crash Kings "Debut"

Crash Kings Landing
4 Out of 5 Stars

"Mountain Man," the first track starts playing on the debut by Los Angeles' Crash Kings and the first thing the popped into my mind was Wolfmother. Then I realized that there aren't any electric guitars. It was like Ben Folds Five trying to do Cream. While my mind is still zipping around my mental playlist, "1985" kicks in with an energetic hook and lots of energy. At this point I turn my brainiac music mind off and start to listen intently. This is good stuff.

The two brothers and a drummer (singer/keyboard man Antonio Beliveau, bassist Michael Beliveau and drummer Jason Morris) whip these songs into form with producer D Sardy. Sardy gets the 'a-ha' tag because he was Wolfmother's producer; Antonio's vocals sure do skim close to Wm's Andrew Stockdale. He also skirts Freddie Mercury's falsetto in "It's Only Wednesday" and "14 Arms" (or is that more like pop diva Mika?).

Supporting Antonio are his bandmates, and there is obvious chemistry here. If you're looking for a harder version of keyboard driven bands like Keane or Coldplay...much, much harder that is...than this first up from Crash Kings will set you off.

No comments: