Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Amazon Reviews: Company of Thieves "Ordinary Wishes"

Ordinary RichesThieves Deserve a Bailout,
4 out of 5 Stars

Imagine a folk-singer fronting Radiohead, or maybe Fiona Applewith a harder guitar attack. That is what you'll find with the wholly delightful Company of Thieves. Singer Genevieve Schatz possess that kind of slightly off kilter wail that can both captivate and set you on edge, and when she lets her voice drop to a more earthy whisper, I even found myself thinking of Suzanne Vega.Guitarist Mark Walloch has spent a fair amount of time gleaning his favorite licks from Radiohead (and I detect a little Johnny Marr, perhaps) to keep things interesting.

My favorites on "Ordinary Riches" are "Pressure" and "Oscar Wilde" (a quote from whom the album title is lifted, and one of my favorite sigles of the year). "Under The Umbrella" serves up a neat "na na na" singalong refrain, showing the band's way with an old fashioned hook and an arena sized guitar solo. Overall, a good first effort. For fans of Fiona Apple, The Cranberries, or even Bjork.

No comments: