Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Amazon Reviews: "The Best of Times," An All-star Texas Tribute to Sara Hickman

When I See You Down, 
I Wanna Pick You Up
4 Out Of 5 Stars



Regular readers of my reviews or blog probably already know that Sara Hickman is not only one of my favorite singer songwriters, but someone I feel is also a friend and an inspiration. I've seen her perform multiple times, she even thanked me on her second album. Naturally, I'm predisposed to just about anything she gets together. "The Best of Times," an all-star Texas Tribute to her songs and a charity project for the Theater Action Project (a Texas educational charity for children in the performing arts), was something I just had to have. It's even better than I expected.

While the album is a double disc mash-up of styles and artists, Sara's immense skill as a writer now can be seem as something that crosses all styles. Several of the musicians/performers are ones you'll recognize if you're not necessarily a follower of all things Lone Star, like Shawn Colvin, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, Darden Smith, Brave Combo or Charlie Sexton, and some that deserve more, like the soulful treatment Ray Von Foster gives to "Give It Every Little Thing You've Got" and the same with LZ Love's version of "I Couldn't Help Myself" (which may have been Sara's closest thing to a hit.

I'll admit to my personal favorites at this point, which are Edie Brickell's version of "Shadowboxing," The Flatlanders' "Comfort's Sigh," "Under The Sycamore Tree" by Robert Earl Keen and the title song jointly performed by Trish Murphy and Charlie Sexton. But no matter how hard anyone tries, they all have to stand aside to Willie Nelson. Willie takes what has always been my absolute favorite Sara love song, "Simply," and turns it into classic Willie. If there was justice to be had in this world, his new version of "Simply" would be topping the country charts, giving Willie a third, fourth or maybe fifth career resurrection, and make "Simply" the wedding standard it has always deserved to be. Yes, Willie's version really is that magnificent.

In my estimation, so is Sara. This album came about because Sara was named "State Musician of Texas," an honor previously bestowed on the likes of Willie and Lyle Lovett. She is using her time with this title to help raise awareness of the need for arts in the Texas educational system, and 100% of the proceeds of this album are going to the aforementioned TAP charity. It's all star music from some all star Texans, performing the music of a woman who - in my eyes anyway - has always been a star. "The Best of Times" should be your gateway into some of Sara's best albums. Please support this effort.




   

No comments: