Monday, December 27, 2010

The Holidays

The holdays were good to us, here in Springfield. Joel and I exchanged gifts (A gave him a framed Van Gogh print from our trip to Amsterdam 2 summers ago, he got me a lovely new computer monitor) and we had a big turkey. With a lot of leftovers. We took in Tron Legacy, which we both enjoyed. It is a huge homage to a batch of other classic films, and I loved seeing the "Black Hole" poster.

On Christmas Day, we had made plans to visit my family the next Sunday. Then the weather forecasts began to get increasingly nasty, and at 5 I called my Mother and said "We're coming, now..." I loaded Joel and the gift bags into the car and took off down the PA Turnpike at a relatively illegal rate of speed. We had an excellant visit with Mom, two of my Aunts, my neice and her boyfriend and one of my cousins. The gifts were largely ceremonial and non-serious, but the Charlie Brown Shirt was my favorite by a wide berth. There were also a huge amount of cookies to be had, even if only for a few hours. Oh yes, my Aunt Deb gave me the Keith Richards book, which I can't wait to dig into!
Life 
The warned of storm did arrive Sunday as forecast. I was supposed to be at work on Sunday at 11:30 PM and was concerned as to how this was going to occur. My final decision was to get some overtime and leave before the worst of the snow was to arrive. When I checked the Company Hotline at 6pm, the message was that all shifts would still be working. The drive was made very deliberately, and when I at last pulled into the parking lot, my cell phone rang. It was my supervisor, calling to let me know that shifts were cancelled.

Little Blue Mercury was turned around and back home I came. In the morning, there was about 8 inches of snow in the yard, which took me about 90 minutes to dispatch with blower and shovel. The wind is extreme right now, so getting to work will likely again be a painstaking episode. However, this minor weather issue did not keep me and Joel from having a good Christmas. I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves, as well.



No comments: