Sunday, March 18, 2012

Passings: Dr Phillip Roy Reeves

One of my best friends, Dr Phil Reeves, passed away early Saturday in a sudden and unexpected complication from dental surgery. He passed peacefully in his sleep and was discovered by his partner in his bed.

Phil was an accomplished cellist, having played on tours with the likes of Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, and various incarnations of the Rat Pack Reunion Tours, as well as occasionally sitting in with the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble. He turned to Psychiatry and had been in practice for several years. I first met him when he asked me to be his personal assistant part-time about 6 years ago, and he also helped me with my own mental issues. After I adopted Sophie cat, he adopted a brother and sister pair of kittens, Albert and Victoria. When Phil and his delightful partner Graham would go on one of their frequent trips, I was usually the designated Kitty Sitter.

I am going to miss his dry sense of humor, his love of classical music, the way he doted on his two cats and would put them into hilarious photo montages, and the obvious love for his partner, Graham. But more then anything, I am going to miss a man who was not only an amazing friend, but would go out of his way to help me whenever he could, and in times when I was in very dark places. He stood by me when many would not. I have lost one of my life's few anchors and the world is a sadder place today.



(The photo Of Dr Reeves was taken by me at a co-worker of Phil's baby-shower in January. Albert and Victoria were about 4 at the time of their picture.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will so dearly miss you my friend. With all my heart to you from Alaska. Keith