Friday, May 6, 2011

Finally, Some Catching Up. Book Sales, Driving in the Rain and Avoid The Winking Lizard.






This time last week, David Stein (on the left, above), Alex Ironrod, artist John Randle and I had already finished our kinky creativity forum in Ohio for Cleveland Leather Awareness Weekend. I was very happy with the forum, as we had about 25 attendees early in the event (Friday at 1:30), and those in attendance asked plenty of questions. The three authors in the crew each read from a slection of their work, while John described how he makes decisions regarding his kinky painting. (His triptych on display was beautiful.)

David arrived in Philly from NYC via Bolt Bus Weds for an overnight stay, displacing poor Sophie Cat from her usual room. On Thursday, we headed for Pittsburgh with a stop in Carlisle for what David called "the best crab cakes outside of Maryland." The Sunnyside Restaurant did not disappoint! Too bad it wasn't open for Sunday Business or we would have stopped on the return drive. We spent the night with my good friend Russ in Pittsburgh.

Friday we drove - for a second day - in the rain. David had registered too late for the main hotel, so I dropped him off and headed for the host location to set up. Alex and his crew had already set up, so my table and books were up and on display with ease. Sales were solid, and I was pleased by that. I also got in a serious session with an Irishman from DC, who left me some souvenirs.

That gentleman, his boy, a friend of theirs and I went to a restaurant called "Winking Lizard" for a meal and service so bad that we complained to the manager (spilled drinks, cole slaw literally dropped in one person's lap, etc). Usually, the manager will say something like, I'm sorry, and I'll comp you the drinks, or something similar, but not this one. He actually began to argue with us. We were so angry that we left, went to a different bar and wound up doing some hard drinking.

Which is unusual for me. The last time I was impaired was in Amsterdam over two years ago. But I now like Belgian Blue Moon Wheat Beer. Really like it. A lot. Made the fireworks at the end of the Cleveland Indians game (a full half-hour of them) a real kick to watch.

Sunday, by one PM, David and I were back on the road and in the rain, again, this time headed back to Philly. Monday was a day to chauffeur David around the city a bit, taking him to Giovanni's Room (Philadelphia's Gay Book Store, and one of the few left in the country), and then to The Trollycar Diner for lunch and a comfort food lunch with author Thom Magistar (that's him on the right).

Ultimately, I got David back to 30th Street Station and back on the Bolt Bus for NYC. I've been busy this week catching up and kitty-sitting, and still on the search for work.

No comments: