Monday, June 9, 2014

My Amazon Reviews: American Authors "Oh, What A Life"

Writing Their Own Story
3 Out Of 5 Stars

I first caught American Authors via a commercial for the MLB Fan Cave which used "Best Day Of My Life" as the background music. It was so happy and infectious that I had to Shazam the commercial to find out the artist. That, in turn, lead me to the American Authors and their debut CD "Oh, What a Life."

As seems to be the trend these days, folk tendencies are the next big thing and American Authors lean in that direction. "Luck" (as in 'I make my own...') is pretty good pop, as well. In fact, if you take away the acoustics and factor in their creamy harmonies ("Think About It," "Love"), these guys could easily pass as a boy band. That's meant as a compliment, as the hooks are catchy and the melodies exude pure pop instincts. You'll get that on the playful (and more electric) "Hit It."

Just as a warning, "Best Day of My Life" is the best thing here, and if you bought their debut EP, all 5 of those songs are there so you'll be paying for half of "Oh, What a Life" twice. But for the moment, I'll indulge in "Best Days" and eagerly await the follow-up to see where American Authors head next.


    

No comments: