Friday, March 14, 2014

My Amazon Reviews: Twenty One Pilots "Vessel"

Leaky Boat Of Fun
3 Out Of 5 Stars

Playing a curious mix of rap, folk and pop, Twenty One Pilots are a band that are impossible to pigeonhole. The opening track on "Vessel" bounces back and forth between the rap and the pop in a seamless fashion that is particularly tasty. "Ode To Sleep" sets the tone for the album as it's as eclectic a single as you'll hear from a new band.

I was lured to "Vessel" by the single "House of Gold," which sounds more like The Lumineers or Passengers than what comprises the bulk of the CD. Normally that would tick me off, as I'm not a fan of rapping, and had I listened to the samples of the rest of the songs first, I'd probably have skipped the disc. The vocoder heavy "Migraine" and the more downbeat "Car Radio" sink in enough to compensate for any shortcomings. Twenty One Pilots duo Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun know how to couch their way around the laptop rockers and the screamo-emo and make "Vessel" a fun listen. If it weren't for the fact that the lead vocals sometimes turn to screams (you're no Roger Daltry, guys), I'd like this a whole lot more.

     

No comments: