Sunday, August 4, 2013

My Amazon Reviews: Sara Hickman "Shine"

It's Time To Shine
4 Out Of 5 Stars

I have long had a gal-crush on Sara Hickman. Ever since seeing her on tour for her first album, "Equal Scary People," I've been a happy fan and have the opportunity to see her play several more times. Every time I think she can't keep getting better, her albums appear and keep surprising me. "Shine" comes to us with a distinct pop sheen and 10 new songs that are thoroughly enjoyable and lots of fun.

I am particularly fond of "Trouble With Boxes," in which Sara tries to understand how multidimensional people always seem to forced by misunderstanding folks try to fit you into one convenient place. As a performer who is also a philanthropist, teacher and has recorded several successful children's albums, it's obviously a somewhat personal song for her. Yet the theme is universal. No-one wants to be labeled, and that's the message. There's also the jaunty "Primitive Stuff" that asks you to hang in there when the times get tough.

The CD's first single, "Selfish Freak," is a funny look at the ex you just want to go away, then there's the flip side, the salacious and wild "My Cocky Friend."

"Don't give me lip
Let me run this.
Just get me stripped, boy
Just get me serviced
...I want to get it on."

Pretty straightforward stuff. A bit more playful is "Tasty Sweet," where the man of Sara's desires is like "sugar covered peaches, chocolate treats." Things aren't always fun and games, as the lovely ballad "You are Not Alone" and the somber "Two Winters At The Bottom" stay on the serious side. But never fear, the title track at the end of the album ends things on a happy, optimistic note. These are the kind of songs that help you understand how Sara could be named "Official State Musician of Texas" in 2010, an honor she shares with the likes of Willie Nelson (who has covered Sara's beautiful "Simply") and Lyle Lovett. "Shine" is yet another reason to give a listen to her many talents.

     

No comments: