Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Passings: Larry Hoppen, Founder of Orleans

Larry Hoppen, founding member of '70's pop-rock band Orleans, died Tuesday (July 24), at 61. The singer and guitarist's death was announced earlier today by his wife, Patricia Hoppen, though the cause of death is still be investigated."For those who don't already know, Larry passed away yesterday ... those of you do know me, you can message me," his wife wrote. "For his fans, I am deeply sorry for YOUR loss. I know he will be missed. I will (ask) that my family's privacy be respected during this horrible time."

Orleans was founded in Woodstock, NY, in 1972, and released their best-known album, Waking and Dreaming, in 1976, which featured their Billboard charting hits "Still the One," "Forever" and "Love Takes Time."

"Words cannot express the depths of my sorrow," said Hoppen's brother and Orleans bandmate, Lance Hoppen, in a statement. Orleans was celebrating their 40th year as a band, and had been scheduled to perform Friday morning (July 27) on the "Fox & Friends" television show, with several live dates lined up over the weekend. In addition to his wife, Patricia, Hoppen is survived by his daughters, Claire and Maeve, brothers Lance and Lane, and sister Lynda. (Via Spiiner.com)

I saw them open for Chicago in the 70's, and met them backstage. They were wonderful to me, and this makes me sad.



      

No comments: