Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Amazon Reviews: Gogol Bordello "Transcontinental Hustle"

Trans-Continental HustleNo Energy Crisis Here  
4 Out of 5 Stars

I was a little concerned when I heard Gogol Bordello had made the leap to major labels (Colombia/American). Would the suits at CBS tamp down the energy of Eugene Hutz and his cross-cultural/generational band of music makers? Would Rick Rubin enhance these guys or suck them dry?

My fears were allayed as soon as "Pala Tute" kicked in. It's as ferocious and as fun/funny as anything the band has done to date. And as a reality check to the folks that have given "Transcontinental Hustle" tepid reviews, nobody, and I mean no-one, rocks an accordion and fiddle like Gogol Bordello. The buildup that climaxes "When Universes Collide" is new even for GB, showing that the band is still fine with taking risks. And both "Raise The Knowledge" and the title song continue to mine a fierce political streak.

In short, any band that claims to find their inspiration "in my headphones is Bob Marley and Joe Strummer" is going to have a hard time watering their sound down. "Transcontinental Hustle" is already one of  my favorite albums of the year, and I'm really happy that GB survived the transition with their soul intact.


Super Taranta  Legend: Best of Live From Axis Mundi (W/Dvd)

No comments: