Thursday, November 5, 2009

Passings: Robert Maddox, Co-Founcer of Male Hide Leathers, Chicago

I was sent the message that Bob Maddox (on right, with partner Frank Gohey), the cofounder of Male Hide Leathers in Chicago, passed away suddenly Sunday, Oct 25th. His friend, David Boyer (manager of Touche and formerly The Cell Block), sent out a heartfelt notice, which says it better than I could have.

Greetings all,

Guess I have been putting this off the past couple of days, as this week I must begin on a very sad note. My dear friend and a giant of the leather community Bob Maddox, passsed away last Sunday. Bob and his partner Frank began making leather gear for guys way back before there was a Touché. They openned Male Hide Leathers on Illinois Street just around the corner from the old Gold Coast bar. This was where I got fitted for my first set of leather chaps and vest. Eventually Male Hide would move up to Lincoln Avenue to a location across the street from Touché.

As an owner of Male Hide, Bob was very supportive of Chicago's leather scene. I can't count the number of leather items and gift certificates given out at club nights at Touché over these many years. They set up shop at club runs and showed support by placing ads in programs for all kinds of events. Sure they were promoting their business, but this was at a time when guys were still hiding their leather gear in the trunk of their car. If gay guys were in the closet, leathermen were even deeper in that closet.

Bob and Frank were true pioneers of leather and kink. As I lived next to the old bar, we became neighbors and good friends. We consoled each other upon the loss of our life partners. We would hit the movies, get together for breakfast or just check up on each other over the years. I am sure going to miss Bob.I have already been asked about services for Bob. He is going to laid to rest next to Frank down in Kentucky this Friday. Plans for a memorial gathering for Bob are being made for the Thanksgiving weekend as some of Bob's family wish to join with his Chciago family in saying goodbye.

Bob was always very kind and supportive of my work, and often entertained me with wildly funny stories of his time in Chicago's early leather years. I got to know him on a limited basis during the publications of Rubber Rebel and Vulcan America, and while working on the early years of the Mister International Rubber contests.

No comments: